Thursday, March 4, 2010

Celebrating Nothingness

Recently I have started a new..well..lets call it a hobby. I have started making threads of cotton. The aim here being,making the thread as long as possible without breaking it.
The first time I saw this incredible art in progress was as a little girl. My Aji(gran) would sit in the perfect winter sun,her silver hair catching the gleam. Balls of cotton and a basket of knitting yarn would be perfectly perched near her ankles as she would sit for hours,diligently spinning prayer threads with her expert fingers. All of this done productively,,ofcourse.

On the other hand,there is me. Day to day , I find myself sitting with a roll of cotton with my fingers moving in a rythmic action of rolling the raw cotton and producing a long thread. I do it when I mindlessly watch Tv,when on the phone,talking to my mother and a list of other things. I realised when ,at it Im not really thinking anythning. Even if Iam, I never seem to remember. A conscious effort to think or to bring a thought to mind,usually snaps the thread.

Besides that,there are days when I walk up to a coffee shop with a view.
Translated: where I can see people go by.And I can do that for hours.Just sit there and watch them go by.
Sometimes it happens over music,sometimes when Im thinking about the characters and their lives from the book Im reading and sometimes to fill awkward silences,which were intended to be conversations.

When I see these people go by,I wonder what their lives would be like,thier jobs and families.My mind taps all possibilities in that 4-5 sec it takes them to cross the glass window i sit at.
The boys,girls,old,young,younger,men,women,vendors,beggars,the well dressed,ads on the shopping bags,umbreallas,the explosion of colours,arguements,happiness and the banter.I absorb it all.

May I now admit,I absolutely love the feeling. I love to make neverending threads of cotton,I love peeling the apple skin in one go,I love to tear the corner of a peice of paper in continuation till it becomes like a paper string or a streamer.

All of this done completely mindlessly,ofcourse. I guess I like to see continuity. To see things in progess without any obstruction. To see it take a form very different from how it started originally. Iam also saying I dont like to see breaks. I dont like the sound of a snap. I dont like discontinuity.
And when the thread does snap..I take the ends and join them together,like nothing really happened and continue my journey.Continue my journey like those thousands of people do as they walk past the coffee shop. Continue to the destination.

This desire of appreciating continuity brings to me a blissful state of mind. Which is far far away from any worry or anguish. Where I can celebrate futility.All by myself. All I need is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment